Traveling the world is expensive. Thankfully, there are a few ways in which you can save money. On this page, I am going to be ‘throwing out’ a few ideas on how to travel the world cheap.
When you are looking to save money whilst traveling the globe, planning is absolutely everything. If you plan in advance, you will be able to shave a ton of cash from your expenses. The only downside is that when you plan in advance, you can’t really be all that flexible in terms of what you do and when:
(1) Flights and other transportation: you can, quite often, book this up to a year in advance. Book the tickets as soon as they go on sale. You will be surprised at just how much cash you can save when you go down that route.
(2) Accommodation: again, book up to a year in advance to make the biggest savings.
(3) Attractions and other ‘fun things to do’: do not buy attraction tickets once you arrive in a location, they will be expensive. Book them online. You don’t have to do this too far in advance. Providing you do it before you arrive, you should be good to go.
You have a couple of different options for accommodation when it comes to how to travel the world cheap. This includes:
(1) Youth hostels: this is, obviously, not the greatest type of accommodation there is. However, you are, at least, going to have a place to rest your head. One of the reasons as to why so many people out there love youth hostels is down to the fact that you get to meet people from all walks of life. These people are travelers too. They want to experience the same things. You will be surprised at how many ‘friends for life’ you can make whilst traveling.
(2) Couch surfing: with couch surfing, you will be staying in somebody’s home ‘for free’. Once again, this is a brilliant way in which to meet people. It is also a great way to get a tour of the local area from a ‘native’. You will, of course, be expected to give something ‘back’ for staying there. Normally this involves cooking in the house or something, which is fine. I suggest you always bring a gift for your ‘host’ family.
If you really want to travel cheaply around the globe, you should consider ‘working’ whilst on your travels. English teachers are in ‘high demand’ in many, many countries. In addition to this, some people find that they are able to make a decent amount of cash for simple agricultural work whilst on their travels. If you search for a job in advance of traveling, you should have absolutely no issues finding somewhere to work. However, do make sure that you spend a small amount of time ‘having fun’. Don’t work all of the time. If you are going to be doing that, you may as well stay in America.